April 10, 2009

The spring campaign season is complete. Let me take this opportunity to express my appreciation to everyone who ran for public office this year. Without contested elections our system of government wouldn’t work.


I applaud you for your willingness to serve your local community and ensure it continues to be a great place to live, work, and raise a family. It’s a hard choice to take the jump and run for office. Those who choose to do so open their lives and their family’s lives up for public review, be it appropriate or not.


I’m willing to bet that most of the candidates enjoyed their time on the campaign trail. As I’ve campaigned the most important lesson that I’ve learned is that grassroots campaigning and citizen involvement works. Not only does it often lead to victory, but the relationships you made during the campaign will continue to be valued resources throughout your term of office. An elected official can’t do it all on their own, the citizens of their community can and should continue to play an important role long after the election is through.


To all the newly elected officials, I wish you all the best as you begin your new career working with the people. I am confident that you will be an asset for our communities

Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment